Rhino on the Roof

Winter is for working and making $ for summer adventures but my current job is only giving me 30-33 hours a week so I find myself with more free cold-weather time than I care for.  My current job pays by the hour and is supposed to be full time but it turns out it's really not.  Sometimes that's a good thing and sometimes not so much.
 
I've got a kitchen staff of three people who need to pay their bills.  They're young and poor and mostly hard workers so I often leave work early to give them the hours I would use up if I was there.

I'm essentially a low-rent Oscar Schindler.

I've got some passive income so I can handle skimpier-than-I'd-like paychecks for a little while.
Skimpy paychecks--that's not so good.  On the other hand, my employer is cool with giving me July off to hike the Sierra Nevada, so that's great!

Balance.  Try to find it when you can.

So with all this time I got Roscoe's roof rack installed.  Rhino Rack Pioneer system. A rock solid roof rack that will support lots of weight--namely 2 humans, a dog, a tent and some overlanding stuff like maybe a shovel and a jack.

Internet videos told me I would be sketched out drilling holes into the Jeep hardtop to install it, but I wasn't.  I just drilled away like the instructions told me and tried not to inhale too deeply while the fiberglass fibers floated around my head like stardust.

I enlisted the neighbor a few times throughout the afternoon for the removal and replacement of the hardtop, and a few other times for the roof rack itself.

Overall, it was not a difficult job.  The instructions were pretty straight-forward.  The final fitment was a little jenky (probably due to slightly off-centered drilling on my part), but it eventually all came together.

I'm not going to go into all the details of the install.  That's really dull and this is not a how-to manual.

Hardtop off and ready for drilling.  Hats off also for supporting roles of Trash Can in the Street, Snow Melting and Unexpected Guest Dining Chairs.


Holes drilled. Crap everywhere.
Interior view of the "Backbone...." the part that supports the roof rack.
The Pioneer Rack.
The support system in.
Fully installed.

So now that that's all finished....on to the galley build.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jeep Galley Build

Vehicular Blogicide

Lighten Your Load