Light Camp Sandals, or, Screw Toe Socks!

It is too much to ask for a single product to be perfect for all situations, evidently.

There are some things I have been looking for in a camp sandal or shoe: 1) Weighs very little, 2) Is comfortable, 3) Doesn't break the bank, 4) Doesn't take up too much room, 5) Can be used with or without socks, 5a) If socks are used they do not have to be specialized--I'm looking at you Injinji, 6) Can be used for stream crossings, 7) Dries very quickly, 8) Any fool can make them, 9) Is somewhat durable when not abused.

I know, I know...I don't need to take camp sandals with me on a thru hike, but I'm gonna...maybe. You don't have to but I want to. So this is for those of you who also wanna.

Because I could not find anything on the market, I made some. Here is how they came to be (I feel like an unshaven and slightly smelly Martha Stewart right now):

I thought old school Tevas would do the job, but they are 13 ounces for a pair. Too heavy.  Crocs are a popular option but weigh even more, although they are super durable and protect your toes. Lightness is my main concern, though, so I looked to minimalist running shoes:  rubber soles with string holding them to your feet. I contacted Xeroshoes, a company in Boulder, and asked them what a pair of size 10.5 US would weigh. Answer: 7.2 oz. I liked the idea of those cheap drugstore thong flip flops too because they are pretty light, but you can't wear those without toe socks which, to me, look ridiculous. Sometimes it's chilly at camp and I'll prefer to wear socks toe keep my footsies warm. Not willing to wear toe socks, Xeroshoes and unmodified flip flops were out.

So I went online to Old Navy and bought a bunch of different sizes of their flip flops (b/c I don't know if they run large or small) and a few extra pairs for experimentation. At only $2.50 to $3.00 a pair it's not going to break the bank.

I removed the rubber parts that anchor the flip flop to your foot, grabbed some old para-cord from the workshop and looked at some lacing videos on the Xeroshoes website that the owner of the company had linked to. (He is really a nice guy and I should buy some shoes from him in the future as thanks for unwittingly helping me. He makes his shoes for minimalist running primarily and I am not a runner, but they might make cool car-camping sandals.)

I punched a few holes in the front of the flip flops through which to string the para-cord, then made a few failed attempts and finally got what I think is a decent set up.

You may say, "I don't like that there is a knot and exposed para-cord underneath the sandal." Noted. However, since I am only using these for super-light duty purposes (camp sandal) I don't think it will be an issue. And even if they do fail prematurely, I am only out about $4. My guess, though, is that you could even walk a few miles in them if something catastrophic happened to your hiking shoes.

The ends of the para-cord are burned to keep them from fraying. There are multiple solutions to lacing, but this one is minimal and keeps the weight down. I bought size 10-11 flip flops for me, since I usually wear a 10.5 but they are at least 2 sizes too big. I would get the 9-10 next time. For this test, though, I just cut the front of the sandals back with some heavy duty scissors. That's why they look so ghetto near the toes. 

The finished pair of sandals weigh 6.3 oz. I used the existing two rear holes where the plastic foot holdy-thing nubs were for the new lacing. The thong hole in the front I just left as is. You could put some duct tape or something over it if you wanted to. To make these lighter I could utilize a thinner flip flip sole. I don't know if the lacing would rip through it more readily or not. I'd have to find a pair and experiment. For now, these appear pretty durable, although I've only tested them around the house and in the backyard.

Enough. Here are some pictures: 







Note:  Revisiting this post several months later, I have decided to 86 taking any camp shoes at all.  I've got my base pack weight down to 15+ pounds (before food and water weight) and can't really justify an extra six to seven ounces.  I guess loosening up my laces at camp will just have to do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jeep Galley Build

Vehicular Blogicide

Lighten Your Load